Wednesday, January 30, 2008

a seed

I can't take intellectual credit for the definition of worship that I love the most;  I overheard it at a coffee house, a snippet of conversation displaced, like seeds blown by the wind, and planted into my own conciousness.  And so, as I flipped through ReadyMade magazine, and sipped my (grande non-fat no-whip one-pump sugar-free hazelnut white chocolate) mocha, I heard a phrase that has stayed with me, and informed my own idea of worship for many years: 

"Worship is touching God's heart, and inviting God to touch ours."

Years later, I am still working through the significance of this statement, recognizing and confessing (often!) my self-centered ways, and seeking to please God in all the arenas of my life.  

"Therefore I urge you, brothers [and sisters], to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God.  This is your spiritual act of worship." Romans 12:1 

No comments: